November 23, 2006

Reason #2 - Proof

I am listing the 10 reasons that I desire to and will finish my first 26.2 during the final 10 days prior to the race. This is the 2nd in the series.

Proof.

Not to anyone else, but to myself. Proof that I can endure despite mental and physical pain to accomplish this 26.2. Proof that I can finish what I start.

You see, for some reason, I move from one thing to another rather quickly. In fact, I do everything (heheh, well, I'd like to think not EVERYthing...) quickly, and on an accelerated pace. I finished high school when I was 16, although I didn't actually graduate. I got my bachelor's degree in just over 2 calendar years after dropping out of high school.

I was heavily involved in politics, even serving as the president of my local Young Democrats group, for 2 years during medical school. But I haven't been involved with organized politics since.

I've written 3 books, but haven't even attempted to have them published or distributed.

I raced cars for about 12 months. Open wheeled Indy styled cars... Absolutely loved it, but I didn't pursue it for a variety of mediocre reasons.

I've tried to train for marathons before, but stopped due to time constraints, or injuries, or that most apathetic reason of all - simple loss of desire...

I was married for 7 years, and couldn't even finish that...

So I need some proof. I need some proof that I can finish this athletic endeavor, no matter the price. No matter the pain. No matter the loss of desire that I am absolutely certain will hit me when I am standing at the start line and it is 35 or 40 degrees, nor that which will hit me right about mile 20 or 21 when butcher knives are stabbing me in each of my knees with every step...

I need some proof that I can finish this 26.2 in order to solidify for me the idea that yes, yes I can and I will finish a 140.3 and realize my ultimate athletic goal of becoming an Ironman...

So, reason 2 is Proof. Not to anyone else, just to myself...

No comments: