August 27, 2007

Back in the Saddle

A week of basic inactivity has let my broken foot become essentially painfree again so I was back on the bike and at the pool today.

You know that saying - miss a day and no one notices, miss 2 or 3 days and only you notice, miss a week and everyone notices. Well, today, I think anyone could have noticed.

I trudged along on the computtrainer for a measly 30 minutes at 150W, then went to the gym and swam a couple thousand yards. When I jumped in the pool Matt asked me how far I was swimming, and I felt like a real wuss when I had to respond probably not very far. There was a time when I would have shot back 2 miles, or maybe even 2 1/2 miles. But today, not very far was all I could muster.

After the swim, I grabbed a couple of those dumbell foam floatie things and went to the deep water and aqua-ran for about 35 minutes until thunder struck and they shut down the pool. It was my first experience with aqua running, and I didn't feel like it did much. Maybe I need to aqua sprint, or at least aqua run for longer.

Then I went inside and rowed 5000 meters on the Concept 2, my new best friend. I had played around with it when I was doing Crossfit more regularly, but the last few weeks since I hurt my foot I've spent some serious QT with rowing across my imaginary endless lake.

Then I did a little lifting and core exercises and stretching, and then I finished off with 30 minutes of climbing stairs.

Total time 3 1/2 hours...

It's funny how when you can't do something you miss it more than you ever thought you would. I haven't run in more than a week now, and I can't run until October 1. That would give me only about 9 weeks to prepare for the Marathon of the Palm Beaches in December, where I had hoped to have a shot at a BQ time. I think I'll drop to the half marathon for that race, if I do it at all, and focus my sights on the Rock N Roll Arizona Marathon in mid January.

If my foot complies, that is...

Thanks for joining me for My Daily Spin.

5 comments:

Bullet said...

3 1/2 hours! Back in the game playa. If you were struggling, you sure didn't look like it.

Lisa said...

Glad to see you're back in the saddle. :)

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Glad you took the time off and are back in the saddle. Let your foot tell you when it's ready to roll again. Three and a half hours doing cardio that doesn't hurt your foot is awesome!!!
I hope you do the Rock-n-Roll because I will be there doing it with TriDummy, IronGirlNyhus, Trimama, TriMom...
Come on! We can hang out with Commodore and Momo and TriDogMom....

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Glad to see you are back on the bike. And wearing that rowing machine out!! Take care...you'll be back soon, no doubt.

HilaryElise said...

If I had known you were going to start making short jokes, I would have taken the opportunity for a jab at your crutches...just kidding

I want to hear more about this arizona marathon