June 2, 2008

Bump N Grind XIV

The day started with a wake=up at 0505. As soon as I looked at the clock I was excited to get up - none of that snooze button and roll over stuff. I hopped out of bed and started gathering my things for my first bike race, the 14th annual Bump and Grind.

I got the race site at Oak Mountain about 0630. After parking I registered, then got my gear ready. I rode about 20 minutes on the road for a warm-up, and then made my way back to the starting line to watch the Junior Olympic categoryies start. Just a few minutes later they called for my group!

I was a little nervous about the start. The marshall herded us all to the front, and there were 5 across in the narrow chute. For the final minute before the start all I could think about was all 5 of us trying to get clipped in and running into each other and falling down.

"GO!"

I paused about a half a second to let the guys around me get just a little ahead to avoid the envisioned fall. It worked great! I got clipped in and within a few hundred yards had zipped into second place. The first half mile or so was on pavement and the remainder was singletrack. I stuck about 20 feet behind the leader on the pavement, but once the singletrack started I lost sight of him pretty quick.

This 2 loop course gains most of its elevation on the first 1/3 of the loop, and I was huffing and puffing before I got to the downhill! The intensity was way high, and I was happy to be done with the climbing for awhile and head back down. Close to the end of the first loop I was passed for the only time on the course and dropped back to second.

This wasn't a technical mt bike course, thank goodness, and only had a couple log jumps a 2 sections of downhill rock steps. The rock steps would have intimidated me if I hadn't rode the course several times prior.

I held my own in 3rd for the 2nd lap, and finished in 3rd place. 2nd was about 45 secondes ahead of me and 1st about 3 minutes ahead. Ok, there were only 5 riders in my division and one DNF'ed, but it's still 3rd, right? Ha!

This race was a lot of fun, and I definitely would do it again. If I do it again, I need to actually ride my mt bike more than a couple times a month to be competitive. But ya know, I don't think I necessarily need to be competitive. As long as I'm having fun, right?

Thanks for joining me for My Daily Spin...

7 comments:

Bullet said...

Hey congrats! I haven't seen the official results posted yet. Glad you had a good time. Let me know if you're doing BB. I'm going to sherpa and body mark. Hope to see you there.

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the race. Results are up on the USAC site.

TJ said...

Sounds like a blast! Some of my roadie friends have been off road racing and I'm getting the fever too. Maybe soon....

Benson said...

Now that sounds fun. Congrats on the 3rd place finish.
Mtn biking is great LT training huh?

Steve Stenzel said...

Third is third! Nice job at your first race!!!

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

WAy to go DV!!!!!!

Robin said...

Congrats on your race, great finish!! I'll just say you are very brave to get on a Mt. Bike. I'll stick with my roadie, thankyouverymuch...